The job of a printer is to print documents and images as requested by the user, but if the printer is unable to fulfil that basic requirement, then there is certainly some issue with the device. If the printer is not able to print anymore, then there is definitely a system issue, which has prompted the printer to go into an error state with an error message on the screen, i.e., ‘Printer is in error state’.
Getting a printer out of the error state is not difficult, and the process begins with changing the port settings. If that doesn’t fix the problem, then you need to try the solutions as explained below:
The problem of ‘printer is in error state’ is caused due to corrupt printer drivers, system permission settings, or conflicts within the system. However, there is nothing to worry about, as there are solutions available to bring the printer out of its error state.
How to get the printer out of an error state?
Before delving into the troubleshooting process, it is important to know that the following steps work for all printers, be it HP printers, Canon printers, Epson printers, and Brother Printers.
Make changes to port settings
- On your computer, press ‘Windows + R’ on your keyboard, which will open a dialog box where you will have to type ‘devmgmt.msc’. Then, press the ‘Enter’ key and you will see ‘Device Manager’ opening up on your screen.
- Click ‘View’ on the top menu followed by selecting ‘Show hidden devices’.
- You will see two ports, i.e., COM and LPT, so right-click on these two ports followed by selecting ‘Properties’.
- In the ‘Properties’ window, open the ‘Port Settings’ tab.
- You will have to select the option that says, ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port’.
- There is an option named ‘Enable legacy Plug & Play detection’, so make sure to check the box corresponding to it followed by clicking ‘OK’.
- It’s time to restart your computer. Now, check if the issue is resolved.
Check if the printer is online
- On your computer, launch ‘Control Panel’ followed by selecting the ‘Devices & Printers’ option.
- Under that option, you need to select ‘Printer’.
- In case, you see ‘Offline’ status in front of the printer, then you will have to right-click it followed by selecting ‘Use Printer Online’.
- If it can go online, then you are going to see a ‘Ready’ message rather than ‘Offline’.
Reinstall the drivers associated with your printer
- On your computer, launch ‘Control Panel’ followed by selecting ‘View by large icons’.
- You will now see a different set of options, so locate the ‘Devices & Printers’ option from the list.
- Right-click on the printer followed by selecting the ‘Remove device’.
- You will have to confirm the removal of the printer after which, you can restart your computer.
- As your computer restarts, it will detect and install the printer automatically. In case, that doesn’t happen unplug the printer and plug it back again.
Change the ‘Printer Spooler’ service to automatic
- On your computer, press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard followed by entering ‘services.msc’ in the dialog box. Then, hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Now, search for ‘Print Spooler’ service in the right pane, but before that, make sure it is set to ‘Start’.
- Right-click on ‘Print Spooler’ followed by selecting ‘Properties’.
- Select the ‘General’ tab, then change the option of ‘Startup’ type to automatic from the drop-down menu. After that, click ‘Apply’ and then, ‘OK’.
- Close ‘Services’ window followed by restarting our computer to check if the issue is resolved or not.
Updating your computer’s Windows can fix the issue as well, so make sure you do it.
- On your computer, press the ‘Start’ button followed by opening ‘Settings’.
- Click the option labeled as ‘Update and Security’.
- Select ‘Windows Update’.
- Once you are there, click on ‘Check for updates’.
- If you don’t find any update, then maybe your Windows is up-to-date. However, you must wait until the process completes. Once the update process is done, you will have to restart your computer.
- As your computer restarts, you need to check the printer if it has moved from offline state to online or not.
If the problem continues to exist, then you should consult experts for the solution of ‘Printer In Error State’ error. Professional guidance is the only way to troubleshoot this problem once and for all.